Last month, a 14-year-old terrier named Rascal who appeared to be covered in dirt was dropped off at the Nanaimo SPCA on Vancouver Island. But on closer inspection, the staff realized the dirt was actually a swarm of more than 100,000 fleas that had ingested more than 85 percent of Rascal’s red blood cells.
The severely neglected pup was rushed to Island Veterinarian Hospital, where vet Ken Langelier was faced with a decision: Either euthanize Rascal or perform a lengthy blood transfusion to save his life.
Langelier said it was the worst flea infestation he’d had seen in his 40 years of practice, but he wasn’t willing to give up.
Click next page to watch video